[tn-dragonflies] spiketail search

  • From: Rconnorsphoto@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-dragonflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2012 18:25:37 -0400 (EDT)

On Tuesday July 3rd I went looking for ovipositing female spiketails  to
try for better photos than I  had gotten previously.  I had seen Tiger
Spiketails, and gotten a few so-so shots, at Rock Island SP in Warren  County,
and
at Burgess Falls in Putnam County. I was not successful this trip,  and may
have missed the ideal date this year, but I did see a male at Rock  Island.
At the site at Burgess Falls, these sites are gravely seeps below springs,
I saw a roosting Prince Baskettail and a roosting Fawn Darner (it was 100
degrees in the shade). On the previous date in '07 when I had the  spiketail
ovipositing here, there was also a female Fawn Darner egg-laying in  the
same stream. I thought their habitat was only larger streams and  rivers, but
evidently they include tiny streams for egg-laying at  least.

Some photos here:
Tiger Spiketail female from 22 June '07:
_http://www.pbase.com/rconnorsnaturephoto/image/81578511_
(http://www.pbase.com/rconnorsnaturephoto/image/81578511)

Tiger Spiketail male 7/3/12:
_http://www.pbase.com/rconnorsnaturephoto/image/144585813_