[tn-dragonflies] Wilson Co. Arrowhead Spiketail

  • From: richard connors <didymops07@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-dragonflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-dragonflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2014 16:43:00 -0500

Cedars Of Lebanon State Forest, Wilson Co. TN
June 16, 2014

 This morning I was out early doing bird point counts off Cedar Forest Rd.,
in one glade I found a spiketail among the many Com. Whitetails sunning in
the open. A very long spiketail, it turned out to be an Arrowhead
Spiketail. This is only my second sighting of this one.
See here:
http://www.pbase.com/rconnorsnaturephoto/image/156144751

Their favored habitat is usually described as a muddy seep or small stream;
very few streams in this limestone area, with so many sinkholes any stream
quickly disappears underground. But lots of mud puddles along the old jeep
roads.
Checking the OC records, I would say in TN it is widespread but uncommon,
and most TN records there are from June with a few late May and early July.

Off topic, also in the glade was a cooperative fence lizard, as yet
unidentified...
http://www.pbase.com/rconnorsnaturephoto/image/156144791

Further off topic, another good sighting was a large (male?) bobcat. Pays
to be out early, I should do it more often.

Richard Connors
Nashville