[tn-dragonflies] Sable Clubtail not Mustached

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "Rconnorsphoto@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: tn-dragonflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2015 11:29:14 -0400

Tn-Dragonfliers,

I need to make a correction. In my reply to Tom Howe's post last week
about his Cherokee Clubtail sighting, I claimed to have sighted a similar
species - Mustached Clubtail (Gomphus adelphus), this was incorrect. The ode I
had was Sable Clubtail (G. rogersi). These three species are similar, and
our discussion lately has been a good exercise in Ode study for our area.
Unfortunately Mustached is still a rare sighting, and as far as I know I have
yet to find one. (Two Dot Map records, one from Carter Co., plus another,
and an unconfirmed submission from Monroe Co, Tellico River)
This Sable Ct. see two photos here 6/11 :
http://www.pbase.com/rconnorsnaturephoto/image/160448131
http://www.pbase.com/rconnorsnaturephoto/image/160448132

Some field marks for Sable:
Face marked w/ black lines but upper line not solid, face "variably
marked" w/ black
T1 & T2 broad and complete, touching at top and forming a light dot above
that, the "dot" not clear in these but I have observed that in a couple of
others seen last week in Carter and Unicoi Co.s
T3 broken, a stub of line at base, to not present, T4 thin or faint
Club slender and black, only edging yellow on S8 & S9, no yellow marks up
on side of club
Wing tips dark, this dark edging is seen on one of these shots and helped
me add another field mark for Sable, helped to eliminate the other
possibilities.

Hope that helps you,
Good Dragonfly hunting!

Richard C