[tn-dragonflies] Fall Texas Trip Odes

  • From: kristybaker@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: tn-dragonflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2014 05:50:53 +0000 (UTC)

Hello,

Bill & I want to Texas in October.  We had to move our trip up a couple of
weeks earlier than initially planned to have a sitter, so it was still very,
very warm!  We were there October 4 to 11th.  As a result, there D&D's
everywhere!

Here is a list of the 28 species I was able to identify.  Of these, 13 were new
species (**).  I may have other 2 potential new ones (*), but I have to check
my lists from last visit as I may have seen them in April.  I also have some I
couldn't identify.  Any help would be appreciated.  I've put those at the
beginning of the gallery.  The rest are in alphabetical order by common name
for simplicity sake.  If I have misidentified anything, please do let me
know!!!!

http://www.pbase.com/kristybaker/fall_dragonflies

5-Oct-14                5-Oct-14                5-Oct-14
6-Oct-14
Sabal Palms Sanctuary           Resaca de la Palma              TPWD Coastal
Fisheries Field Station            Hugh Ramsey Nature Park
Brownsville, TN                 Brownsville, TX                 Brownsville TX
        Harlingen, TX
Cameron County          Cameron County          Cameron County          Cameron
County

Dragonflies             Dragonflies             Dragonflies
Dragonflies
Black Saddlebags                Common Green Darner             Amberwing sp
        Blue Dasher
Blue-fronted Dancer             Rainpool Spreadwing**           Blue Dasher
        Blue-fronted Dancer
Eastern Pondhawk                                Common Green Darner
Common Green Darner
Great Pondhawk                          Eastern Pondhawk                Eastern
Pondhawk
Roseate Skimmer                                 Four-spotted Pennant**
Great Pondhawk
                                Ramburg's Forktail*             Pin-tailed
Pondhawk
                                Red-tailed Pennant**            Roseate Skimmer
                                Spot-tailed Dasher**            Saddlebags sp
                                                Smoky Rubyspot**
                                                Spot-tailed Dancer
                                                Thornbush Dancer**

7-Oct-14                7-Oct-14                8-Oct-14
8-Oct-14
South Padre Island World Birding Center                 Convention Center
        Frontera Audubon Center                 Valley Nature Center
South Padre Island, TX          South Padre Island, TX          Weslaco, TX
        Weslaco, TX
Cameron County          Cameron County          Cameron County          Cameron
County

Dragonflies             Dragonflies             Dragonflies
Dragonflies
Needham's Skimmer**             Common Green Darner             Band-winged
Dragonlet**                 Common Green Darner
Seaside Dragonlet**             Red Saddlebags          Eastern Pondhawk
        Desert Firetail**
                                Pin-tailed Pondhawk             Eastern
Pondhawk
                                Rambur's Forktail*              Red Saddlebags
                                Roseate Skimmer                 Slough
Amberwing*
                                                Spot-tailed Glider
                                                Thornbush Dancer

8-Oct-14                10/9/2014               10-Oct-14
10-Oct-14

Edinburg Scenic Wetland                 National Butterfly Center       Falcon
County State Park                Fronton
Edinburg, TX            Mission Tx              Falcon Heights, TX
Roma, TX
Cameron County          Hildalgo County                 Starr County
Starr County

Dragonflies             Dragonflies             Dragonflies
Dragonflies
Blue Dasher             Eastern Amberwing               Black Saddlebags

Filigree Skimmer**

Desert Firetail                 Double-striped Bluet            Broad-striped
Forceptail**              Eastern Ringtail**
Eastern Amberwing               Great Pondhawk          Common Green Darner

Red Saddlebags          Common Green Darner             Powered Dancer
                Roseate Skimmer                 Roseate Skimmer
                Black Setwing

Kristy Baker
www.pbase.com/kristybaker
Rockvale, TN