[tn-dragonflies] Darner ID Help - NC

  • From: kristybaker@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: tn-dragonflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2015 01:58:14 +0000 (UTC)

Hello,

We are in North Carolina this week.  For the first three days we were hiking
the dragonflies were EVERYWHERE.  I've never seen so many bugs in my life!!  I
had a dragonfly land on my lips and on my hand.  Billy had one on his shoulder
and Alosha even had one on his nose!  I'll share my sightings and pictures once
I get through them.  I'm still working through the first day photos and already
have several lifers!

I think this is a Harlequin Darner.  Thoughts?  It was hanging off a dead plant
and never moved the entire time I walked around it taking pictures.  Lighting
was bad, but I have some shots  (although not great ones) from different
angles.  June appears to be late for this bug, but I don't think it is a
Taper-tailed Darner which appears to be seen through June.  This was seen in
Tyrrell County at the Palmetto-Peartree Preserve near Columbia TN.  ( Busted on
the red-cockaded woodpeckers.)

http://www.pbase.com/kristybaker/image/160393822
http://www.pbase.com/kristybaker/image/160393820
http://www.pbase.com/kristybaker/image/160393819