[tn-dragonflies] Belated Report from Coffee, Sevier, and Anderson Counties

  • From: Matthew Matthiessen <matthima@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-dragonflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2014 15:32:10 -0700

A couple weeks ago I visited family in Oak Ridge and saw a few odes.  Below
are the lists.

*Bark Camp Barrens, Coffee County - 6/5/14*
Eastern Pondhawk
Spangled Skimmer
Widow Skimmer
Calico Pennant
Banded Pennant

I was at the barrens looking for Henslow's Sparrow.  No luck with the
sparrow but three of the odes were lifers.

*Greenbrier Rd, Sevier County - 6/6/14*
Superb Jewelwing
Ebony Jewelwing
Variable Dancer
Mustached Clubtail
emerald sp.

Went for Superb Jewelwing which was numerous.  The clubtail was a nice
bonus.

*Anderson County - 6/7/14*
Ebony Jewelwing
Blue-fronted Dancer
Blue-tipped Dancer
Familiar Bluet
Eastern Forktail
Fragile Fortail
Common Green Darner
Unicorn Clubtail
Black-shouldered Spinyleg
Prince Baskettail
Eastern Pondhawk
Common Whitetail
Widow Skimmer
Banded Pennant
Blue Dasher
Eastern Amberwing
Black Saddlebags
Spot-winged Glider

All but the jewelwing and pennant were seen in 1.5 hours on a single inlet
of Melton Hill Lake between Edgemoor Rd and Hwy 62.  Take the Edgemoor Rd
exit off 62 heading east and it's the first bit of water on the right.
There was plenty of trash around it but the oding was lights out.  At this
"pond" I briefly saw a tiny dragon that superficially resembled Blue Dasher
but it was smaller and had dark eyes and face.  The terminal end of the
abdomen was black but I didn't notice the color of the appendages.  It was
low in the brush at the edge of the "pond" and disappeared before I could
photograph it.  Initially I thought Little Blue Dragonlet but the range map
in Paulson isn't right for this species.  Is this species known from
Anderson County?

Matthew Matthiessen
Mariposa, CA