[TN-Butterflies] foy and bamona butterflies and moths in western putnam co., tn, 7 april 2011

  • From: "Steve Stedman" <birdsongteam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 17:47:24 -0500

Spent some time in western Putnam County today, mainly looking for early warblers (six species were in), but I also found some nice butterflies, as noted below in a trip list adapted from the NABA BIS program, which I still encourage folks to use as much as they can, even if it seems like work! (pronounced a la Maynard G. Krebs).

I saw one Pepper and Salt Skipper in eastern Putnam County many a year ago and have always thought that I would see more in the county but never have until today. I think of P&S Skipper as a May species, but when Julius Basham reported them in Polk County recently, I decided to be alert for them this month in Putnam, and it paid off. A BIG thanks to Julius for paving the way on this one. P&S Skipper will shortly become the 90th species of butterfly documented for Putnam at the BAMONA website.

Note: I also photographed Grapevine Epimenis (Psychomorpha epimenis) and Mournful Thyris (Thyris sepalchralis) today; these will shortly increase the woefully small list of moths documented in Putnam County at BAMONA.

Date: 04/07/2011
Number of Species: 12
Number of Individuals: 43
Location: Western Putnam Co., TN , USA

Silver-spotted Skipper Epargyreus clarus Adult 1 (FOY)
Juvenal's Duskywing Erynnis juvenalis Adult 10+ (FOY)
Pepper and Salt Skipper Amblyscirtes hegon Adult 2 Photo (FOY and BAMONA)
Eastern Tiger Swallowtail Papilio glaucus Adult 10+
West Virginia White Pieris virginiensis Adult 1 Photo
Falcate Orangetip Anthocharis midea Adult 10
Clouded Sulphur Colias philodice Adult 2
Henry's Elfin Callophrys henrici Adult 1 (FOY)
Spring Azure Celastrina ladon Adult 3
American Snout Libytheana carinenta Adult 1 (FOY
Pearl Crescent Phyciodes tharos Adult 1 (FOY)
Goatweed Leafwing Anaea andria Adult 1 (FOY)

The FAQ can be found by logging in at
//www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/lsg2.cgi/l=tn-butterflies

Please report any abuse or questions about this list to kjchilds@xxxxxxxxx

Users can unsubscribe from this list by sending an email to
tn-butterflies-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the Subject field.