[TN-Butterflies] first butterfly species of 2009

  • From: Stephen Stedman <SStedman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 13:12:00 -0600

Hello to all,

The first butterflies of the year to appear are usually the species that
are able to overwinter as adults, including Question Mark, Eastern
Comma, and Mourning Cloak, among others.  Sometimes one of the sulphurs
will sneak in and be the first, often a Clouded Sulphur.

I'd like to keep a list of the first appearances of all the TN
butterflies for all the TN counties again this year, so please post the
first time that you encounter each butterfly species in each county
where you do any butterflying, and I will do my best to keep up with
these records at the page of my website that is provided with a link
below.

I know we are probably a month away from the first sightings, but
perhaps we will be surprised this year and see a warm spell that allows
some early butterflies to appear before the end of February.

Good butterflying, Steve Stedman

Cookeville, TN

Link to the page of my website listing the first appearances of TN
butterflies during 2009:

http://iweb.tntech.edu/sstedman/ButterflySightingsTN2009.htm