[TN-Butterflies] butterflies of america website

  • From: Stephen Stedman <SStedman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 09:15:22 -0600

Just a reminder that the latest taxonomy for butterflies of North
America has been provided at the website for which I provide a link
below. It is an extremely useful source to consult for those who want a
standard source for common and scientific names of butterflies, as well
as the latest thinking on the phylogenetic order of butterflies.  Lots
of the latest information about these subjects is gathered here and
almost nowhere else, so it is good to have a bookmark for it in your
computer.

I was interested to see that the skippers remain at the end of this
list, indicating recent evolutionary emergence, rather than being
shifted to the beginning as in some other recent butterfly lists,
indicating ancient evolutionary emergence.

I have not seen the first butterfly  in Tennessee for 2009 yet, but am
hopeful of a few before the end of February.

Good butterflying, Steve

Link to Butterflies of America website:

http://butterfliesofamerica.com/intro.htm