[TN-Butterflies] bamona photo project--update

  • From: "Steve Stedman" <birdsongteam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 07:46:17 -0600

As some of you may recall, I was able to obtain limited access to the BAMONA
database to add photos of butterflies to records that were submitted prior to
January 2011; prior to that month, photo-documented records came to me, and I
submitted them without the photos being part of what was submitted to BAMONA.
I wanted to rectify this omission, since I have an archive of a couple of
thousand photos that were the basis of many BAMONA records.

After working on this little project for a couple of months early this year, I
discovered that, when I added a photo to a record, that record was being added
to my personal list of submissions to BAMONA (I do not know if it remained in,
or was removed from, the personal list of the person who originally submitted
the record). I did not like this result of my effort to add photos to records,
so I contacted the BAMONA folks about it.

It turns out that the only way around this problem is to wait until all records
needing photos have had them added and then do a global removal from my
personal list.  Since the process of adding photos is going to take a couple of
years (at least), I would prefer that some other way to prevent the records of
other folks from being added to my personal BAMONA records be found, so the
photo project is on hold, and it may stay that way a while.

Another way around this problem would be for Tennessee butterfliers to submit
additional photo-documented records for any and all species in any and all
counties where they are active.  In this way, most species will have
photo-documented records with actual photos available, and there will be a
larger number of records for each species, allowing for better analysis of each
species' presence in the state.

Anyway, as the long winter evenings stretch out before us, think about going
through your photos and submitting some of them to BAMONA; and next year, think
about submitting more photos of common species from your yard or neighborhood.

Thanks to all who have submitted photos to BAMONA indirectly (via me) in the
past or directly in the recent past.  The last five years have seen an
incredible improvement in knowledge of the distribution of the state's
butterflies.  I hope the next five years see a similar improvement.

Good 'flyin', Steve Stedman
Cookeville (Putnam County)