[TN-Butterflies] Re: Which Roadside-Skipper? - Texas Butterfly

  • From: Bart Jones <bjones7777@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TNButterflies <tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 22:34:45 -0500

Hey Kristy,
This is a Celia's Roadside-Skipper. This one is a bit darker than many, but it
still fits within the spectrum. Note there is still frosting at the upper
angle of the hindwing, Bell's usually has no frosting there. Check some other
images of Celia's on Google and you'll find many that come close to your shot.

Bart Jones
Memphis, Shelby Co.

Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 02:36:25 +0000
From: kristybaker@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [TN-Butterflies] Which Roadside-Skipper? - Texas Butterfly

Hi there,

This butterfly was seen at Santa Ana NWR in Hidalgo County, TX last week. Is
this a Bell's Roadside-Skipper? I'm doubting the ID as it would be out of
range. The obvious for the area would be Celia's Roadside-Skipper, but I can't
make this into one.

http://www.pbase.com/kristybaker/image/159763316

A Swift Guide to Butterflies of North America indicates that the Bell's has a
white dot next to the top forewing spots. (check) Also, the hindwing spots
are zig-zagged. (check) Kauffman's Field Guide to Butterflies of North
America indicate the Bell's spots are connected. (check)

I appreciate the help!

Kristy Baker
Rockvale, TN
Rutherford County