[TN-Butterflies] Re: They're here!

  • From: Avian Pursuits Nature Tours <naturetours@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN Butterflies <TN-Butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 06:23:49 -0700 (PDT)

Something to consider when listing names of species in TN-Butterflies (and
other
listserve) posts. It is recommended that you include the entire name of a
species, at least the first time you mention it. Someone may do a search for a
species (perhaps 10+ years from now!) and would miss a message if it only
included an abbreviated name.
This could also be confusing to someone new to butterflies, who might not be
sure that the abbreviated name is the same as the full name.
This is useful while out on a field trip with newer butterfliers. As an
example,
I recall from about 15 years ago when I was new to birding, we were on a trip
and stopped to look at some ducks. I had my spotting scope on what I thought
might be a distant Canvasback, which would have been a life bird at the time. I
asked a more experienced birder to look at it and he said it was a 'Can'. I was
disappointed that I had mistaken a floating piece of trash for a duck......
 David Trently
Avian Pursuits Nature Tours
...come see the real world!
Knoxville, TN