[TN-Butterflies] Re: Southern Dogface - Davidson County

  • From: "Michael Lee Bierly" <mlbierly@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Tennessee Butterflies" <tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 19:40:30 -0500

    The occurrence of the Southern Dogface is not a new butterfly species
for Davidson County nor is it new in 2010 for Davidson County (a June 6
record by Richard Connors has been previously noted and there may others),
though, this is my first ever. On September 17, two
<http://mlbierly.smugmug.com/Butterflies-2010/Sulphurs-Coliadinae/Southern-D
ogface-Zerene/13810371_S5KTb#1011573887_8k2Cv> Southern Dogface were found
at the Tennessee Clay Target Complex feeding on ironweed on the edge of a
tall flower secondary growth field right next to a thickly mowed grass
field. One individual was detected and it was followed as it moved fairly
rapidly along the edge of the secondary growth flower field, feeding on
ironweed. Then suddenly there was a skirmish with another sulphur in the
vegetation, not noticed by me. This was also a Southern Dogface. Both
disappeared shortly after back deeper into the vegetation, which was too
dense to follow them. Southern Dogface was not on my mental potential
species list for the outing, so it was the kicker for the day.
     Knowing most of you have seen the species many times in Tennessee, I am
reluctant to ask, but learning field marks for some of the butterflies has
been difficult with little guidance and several times I wondered whether an
Orange Sulphur was a Southern Dogface. When I detected the first individual,
I immediately thought Dogface, but the one mark I looked for that is
mentioned in all the books was "pointed forewing tips". I don't see in these
images what I seen drawn or see in other images. Thoughts on ones
experienced are appreciated. So, when you think you have a Southern Dogface,
what do you look for? I think the species must flap slower as I could see
the dorsal black markings well. It did help that it was a male. A full
report for the site follows.

Tennessee Clay Target Complex (Nashville, Davidson County). September 17,
2010, noon - 2:00 p.m. Sunny, 85 F, wind light. Parts of tall secondary
growth flower fields at north end of complex, which contained large areas of
ironweed (some 7') in full bloom, Eupatorium, some goldenrod in full bloom,
grasses, and sedges. 22 species; 206 individuals. Clouded Skipper (3), Least
Skipper (3), Fiery Skipper (4), Sachem (10), Pipevine Swallowtail (15),
Eastern Tiger Swallowtail (1), Checkered White (2), Cabbage White (1),
Orange Sulphur (6), Southern Dogface (2), Cloudless Sulphur (10), Sleepy
Orange (2), Eastern Tailed-Blue (25), American Snout (1, ovipositing),
Monarch (10), Gulf Fritillary (2), Variegated Fritillary (4), Pearl Crescent
(8), Common Buckeye (75), Red-spotted Purple (1), Viceroy (15), Hackberry
Emperor (3).

Michael Lee Bierly, Nashville, Davidson County, TN.