[TN-Butterflies] Re: Sleepy Orange caterpillar - Nashville (Davidson County)

  • From: "Michael Lee Bierly" <mlbierly@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Tennessee Butterflies" <tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2009 08:57:04 -0500

John Froeschauer responded about the request on the Sleepy Orange
caterpillar image. He says, "Yep, that's a Sleepy cat. My Senna has exploded
this year, but not a one on it." Thanks to John for his ID comments. I have
had eggs of four 'fly species at the Manor this year--Sleepy Orange, Wild
Indigo Duskywing, Viceroy, and Black Swallowtail; found caterpillars of
Sleepy Orange and Black Swallowtail; and mating of Cabbage White, Monarch,
and Common Buckeye. To date there have been 38 butterfly species at the
Manor, perhaps the more unusual being Bell's Roadside-Skipper (on 8 dates),
with a one-day high count of 16 species.

Michael Lee Bierly, Nashville, Davidson County, TN