[TN-Butterflies] Re: Orange Sulphur - Kentucky Manor (May 27, 2009)

  • From: "Michael Lee Bierly" <mlbierly@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Tennessee Butterflies" <tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 20:42:34 -0500

May 27, 2009. Kentucky Manor, 5211 Kentucky Avenue, Nashville, Davidson
County, TN
    360934N (36.15944) and 0865102W (-86.85055)

There were six species (five identified) of butterflies at the Manor today.
That's 12 species for the season. The big event today was that a yellow one
landed. The sad event today was I had my first skipper for the season and
was unable to get a photo. Lots of spots on the end of wings.

Orange Sulphur. Rushing back in to the boiling pasta water and sautéing
sauce from getting fresh rosemary in the front yard, a yellow 'fly with
black edgings flew-by and stopped! Well, pasta water can boil some more.
Identified as a female Orange Sulphur from Clouded Sulphur due to the black
margin extending beyond the black dots and female by the large yellow spots
in the black margin (Randy Emmitt,
<http://www.rlephoto.com/sulphurs/sulphur_orange01.htm>
http://www.rlephoto.com/sulphurs/sulphur_orange01.htm). Let me know if there
is disagreement, and, in addition, your field marks between the Clouded and
Orange (forget the albinos for now). The individual fed on a number of
flowers including Verbena 'Tapien Pink' (first photo), Spiderwort ?Sweet
Kate? (resting, second photo), Dianthus species, and Spirea species.
Digitals attached.

Hackberry Emperor. At least two individuals were around all day even one
adorning my jeans. Also, there was one that landed on my arm that I thought
was half the normal size. Can this be? Digitals obtained.

Red Admiral. An individual was out among the ripe mulberries this morning
and even gave top views, though either I was always upside down or the 'fly
was. Digitals obtained.

Question Mark/Eastern Comma. I think Question Mark, but still learning the
upperside marks (not see underside). Digitals obtained.

Cabbage White.  Were around almost every second of the day with peak of four
at one time. Digitals obtained.

skipper species. Where is my salt container?

There also were two Southern Pink Moths, Pyrausta inornatalis, at the Manor
at 8:09 p.m. this evening.

Michael Lee Bierly, Nashville, Davidson County, TN