[TN-Butterflies] Mtn. Empire Butterfly Club expedition to Cocke Co. species list

  • From: Don Holt <dnldhlt@xxxxxxx>
  • To: mebc-butterfly@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, butternuts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 12:10:36 -0400 (EDT)

SUN 17 APR 2011
Jean Obrist's neighborhood in Cocke Co., TN
D. Holt

Dianne Draper, John Hay, Don Holt, and Larry McDaniel traveled to Cocke Co.
Sunday to meet with other regional butterfly enthusiasts at the home of Jean
Obrist.  The target species was Olympia Marble butterflies, but the people, the
place, and the entire experience were a total delight.  Larry and Dianne will
have to help me reconstruct a list of all the good folks we met.  For now I
will simply list the species of butterflies and dragonflies I saw.  If anyone
on the foray saw any additional species they can post them or email me.
     There was good birding as well, with nice viewing in Jean Obrist's yard
and along the nearby stream and pond.  Green Heron, Spotted Sandpiper,
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, and Yellow-throated Warbler were among the species
enjoyed.
     The botanical highlight was *Hoary Puccoon (Lithospermum canescens), which
was putting on a spectacular show.  Although not considered rare, it was
unfamiliar to me.  I was happy to see an easily accessed large patch of it in
Greene County after we started back home, on Bewley Chapel Rd. on a roadbank in
a powerline right-of-way.

*My photos of a few species can be viewed at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/29042793@N03/sets/72157626525142296/with/5631790498/

Butterflies:
Silver-spotted Skipper
Dreamy Duskywing