[TN-Butterflies] Mottled Duskywings, et al, Washington Co., TN

  • From: Don Holt <dnldhlt@xxxxxxx>
  • To: mebc-butterfly@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, butternuts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 21:48:29 -0400 (EDT)

FRI 15 APR 2011
Cherokee Mtn., Cherokee Natl. Forest logging road off Dry Creek Rd., Washington
Co., TN
D. Holt

Temperatures in the 60's, with only occasional sunshine reaching into the
hollows where there was a little protection from the breeze.  I was searching
through the Juvenal's Duskywings hoping for a Horace's or Wild Indigo, so it
took me a moment to recognize the female Mottled Duskywing before me.  The well
defined narrow median band of medium brown on the hindwing tipped me off.
Eventually I found another female Mottled lower on the trail, and almost got a
photo...maybe next time.

Sleepy Duskywing - 4
Juvenal's Duskywing - 8
Mottled Duskywing - 2