[TN-Butterflies] Re: June 18-20 Butterfly Foray

  • From: Rconnorsphoto@xxxxxxx
  • To: naturetours@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 20:48:54 EDT

I talked to Tims Ford SP ranger/manager Chris Padgett today and they are
expecting us, and have put us in cabin #4 (with a pretty view of the lake).
Harold and anyone else camping just tell them at the campground that you are
 with the Butterfly Group, with Richard Connors, and just select a
campsite.
I plan to be there mid-day and can meet anyone else arriving early. Meet at
 the visitor center at 1:00, and/or there later about 4PM. We can survey
sites in  the park and surrounding area.
Note my cell phone number below.
Thanks, Looking forward to it.

Richard Connors
(615) 330 7142

In a message dated 6/8/2010 8:44:16 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
naturetours@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

I currently know of 8 people planning to attend at least part of the
Butterfly Foray at Tims Ford State Park near Winchester, Tenn, June 18-20.
Most,
if not all, will be arriving some time on Friday...with some departing  on
Saturday. Thus there is room in the cabin for Saturday night, if anyone
would like to come on over and stay until Sunday. We'll plan a spaghetti
dinner at the cabin for Saturday (maybe 5 or 6:00) Once I hear form everyone
going, we'll solidify some of the details.

We also have space for 2 more tents in the campground area, for both
nights. Those camping will of course be expected at the spaghetti  dinner!

Details...
The Foray will be centered at Toms Ford State Park, in Franklin County,
near Winchester. The purpose is to get butterfliers to scour local counties
with the goal of adding lots of butterflies (and moths and dragonflies) to
those counties' documented BAMONA lists. The Tennessee state list is
currently  at 137. Here are the numbers of species not yet recorded in the
counties
in which we may survey (asterisks mark those we are most likely to  visit):

Bedford  122
Coffee 76
* Franklin  102
Grundy  106
* Lincoln  131
* Moore  119

I will have lists of the species that are needed for each county, so we
can target those while we wander about.

Friday:
Arrive at any time during the day. As you drive toward Tims Ford, make
some stops along the way and try to find new species for wherever you may  be.
Dinner on your own (unless enough people come so that we decide to make a
meal at the cabin)
At dusk (sunset is around 8 p.m. Central) we will set up some lighted
sheets to attract and photograph moths. If you've never done this, you should
join us. It is amazing to see the colors and patterns on some of the  moths.

Saturday:
For those who awaken early, we can do a bird walk around the Park, as we
wait for the day to warm up and the butterflies to begin flying.
Depending on how many people participate and who wants to do what....we
will either go as a group or, preferably, split into groups and head to
various areas. Instead of designing territories to cover, we'll send groups to
different counties. We'll be in Franklin; Moore County is about 5 miles away;
 and Lincoln County is about 15 miles.
Lunch on your own.
Plan to return for compilation and dinner around 5:00.
We'll light up the sheets again Saturday night to attract more  moths.

Sunday:
Early morning birding.
Either continue looking for butterfly records in the area  and meet  for
lunch/compilation...or work our way toward home, again stopping at various
places on the way.

There may be a public butterfly walk either Saturday or Sunday. Richard
Connors will lead that, and others are welcome to join/help.

I'd like to know when you plan to arrive, so we can arrange our schedule
accordingly. If you want to stay overnight and have not already contacted me
about that, do so soon! There may be one bed available Friday night - and a
 few on Saturday.

I look forward to meeting some TN-Butterfliers...some for the first time
and some that I've met before. Come on  out and have a lot of fun!
David

David  Trently
Avian Pursuits Nature Tours
...come see the real  world!