[TN-Butterflies] Re: How do you tell the number of flights?

  • From: kjchilds <kjchilds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Butterflies <tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 17:36:16 -0700 (PDT)

I was hoping that someone with more experience than I would reply but since no
one did, I'll share my observations.

The lazy answer on the number of flights is, I go by what is written in my
Kaufman guide. It lists the numbers of broods for each species.

For some species, it's really easy to tell when the second brood is flying.
I've noticed that with some species, the first that show up in the spring are
much smaller and/or less colorful than what shows later in the year. Common
Buckeyes and Variegated Fritillaries are good examples. I was amazed at how
small some of the Buckeyes and Var Frits were last spring. The Frits also
looked dull and faded. Then, there was a break in the numbers I was seeing. A
little later I was seeing adults that were 1.5 to 3 times larger and much more
colorful than those first fliers.

I've noticed that the Clouded and Orange Sulphurs I've seen so far this year
are smaller than what I was seeing last fall. The one flying in the picture I
posted was really small. I thought I was possibly chasing a Little Yellow but
after examining that picture over and over again, I'm pretty sure it was a very
small spring form male Orange Sulphur.

With some (maybe most that have multiple broods?), such as Black Swallowtails,
I don't think there are distinct flights. Once my fennel plant starts blooming
in July, there are eggs being laid constantly and I'll have caterpillars in
various stages of development right through fall.

Ken Childs
Henderson, TN
Chester County

http://www.finishflagfarms.com