[TN-Butterflies] Hamilton County Butterflies

  • From: Susan Schott <schottbirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Butterflies <TN-Butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Libby Wolfe <Wolfe11111@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 08:26:25 -0400

Location: Enterprise South Nature Park, a new park by the Volkswagen
plant, Chattanooga, Hamilton County
Date: April 20, 2011

Observed a Yucca Giant-Skipper, a lifer for me, and was impressed by its
size and markings.  Reminded me of a sphinx moth in body shape and size.
Saw four giant-skippers near yuccas flying eratically.  Observed one
depositing an large greenish egg on a yucca blade.

Other butterflies:
Goatweed Leafwing
Red-spotted Purple
Sleepy Orange
Eastern Tiger Swallowtail
Spicebush Swallowtail
Pearl Crescent
Duskywing sp., possible Juvenal's female
Cloudywing sp.
One that got away, possible Carolina Satyr

Thanks to Dave Spicer for finding and reporting the butterfly.  By the way,
his pictures of the Yucca Giant-Skipper and the Olympia Marble are
fantastic.

Susan Schott
Chattanooga