[TN-Butterflies] Re: Great Purple Hairstreak (Davidson County)

  • From: "Michael Lee Bierly" <mlbierly@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Tennessee Butterflies" <tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2010 23:36:19 -0500

A Great Purple Hairstreak was found on September 5 in Davidson County,
http://mlbierly.smugmug.com/Butterflies-2010/Hairstreaks-Theclinae/Great-Pur
ple-Hairstreak/13645700_fr8Rc#995951919_VGkiz-L-LB. The Great Purple
Hairstreak is on the west side of Nashville about ten minutes or so north of
I-40 off Briley Parkway and my house. I would be glad to spend the day
tomorrow (Monday) or part there of helping anyone to see the butterfly. It
seems to me with my limited experience that going after a rare butterfly is
a LOT harder than going after a rare bird. They don't seem to stay put. It
fed in a white flowered plant on top of a hill in a city park. I was inches
away from it. I COULD HAVE TOUCHED IT! I was looking at everything else on
this plant when my eye was cast to a slight movement. I JUST COULD NOT
BELIEVE WHAT I SAW! When it left, I did not see where it went but it was
getting late and the sun was low and off most of the plant. There are only a
couple of these plants so if it wanted to feed on that plant tomorrow, it
has limited choices in this area. The top of the hill apparently is on the
north side, at least it seems dry and oak. I think sun would be on this area
by noon. If you want to come, I will send directions to my house (I am only
seven blocks north of the I-40 on the west side of Nashville, the direction
of the butterfly). Let me know. I am still shaking and with the Dainty at
the Manor, I had an extra glass of wine to celebrate tonight.

Michael Lee Bierly, Nashville, Davidson County, TN.