[TN-Butterflies] Goatweed Leafwing in E TN (BAMONA)

  • From: "Doug Bruce" <s137@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN Butterflies" <TN-Butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 07:07:48 -0400

Saturday April 23, 2011, late afternoon
Indian Creek Rd, and Hillside Memorial Cemetery (Dandridge)
Jefferson Co.

Two weeks ago Julius Basham and Steve Stedman mentioned this year's outbreak of
Goatweed Leafwings, a seldom-seen species in this part of the state.  The one I
photographed in Jefferson County this weekend proved to be the easternmost
BAMONA-documented sighting in TN so far.  The potential exists to add this
species to the county lists of more eastern counties this year.

This was a life species for me.  At first impression it looked a lot like a
Question Mark in flight; it was about the same size, with the same flashes of
orange, and with the same very fast flight and abrupt direction changes.  It
was dogfighting another similar butterfly.

On the ground, with its wings closed, it was very difficult to find among the
rocks and leaves, even having seen it land.

The full list from the trip:

1  Northern? Cloudywing
2  Dreamy Duskywing
several other Duskywing sp.

3  Zebra Swallowtail (BAMONA)
1  Black Swallowtail
3  Eastern Tiger Swallowtail

1  West Virginia White (BAMONA)
1  Falcate Orangetip

many Clouded/Orange Sulphur sp.

1  Henry's Elfin

many Eastern Tailed-blue

1  Monarch

several Pearl Crescent
2  Common Buckeye
1  American Lady (BAMONA)

1  Goatweed Leafwing (BAMONA)

2  Satyr sp. (wouldn't stop moving for ID)

Doug Bruce
Oak Ridge