[TN-Butterflies] Funereal Duskywing

  • From: Rita Venable <ritavenable@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 11:46:44 -0600

Hello, all,

The Funereal DW has been seen several times in TN in recent years. Since the
sightings are so few, and we are on the edge of the range, I could use some
"habitat help" in describing this species for Tennessee. Do you think it is
fair to say that the following as a habitat description for the Funereal
Duskywing in TN:

Open, brushy fields and landscape plantings with native plants, some along
woodland edges. Tennessee records come from counties with large rivers or
dams – the Mississippi River, Kentucky/Barclay Lakes (Land Between the
Lakes) and the Caney Fork River (Center Hill Dam).

The "open, brushy field" comes from a sighting at LBL in a brushy field with
pink peas along a gravel road, the other was a visitor center at a state
park where the Funereal was on a composite in a semi-shady area. I am not
familiar with the sighting in DeKalb Co. and there may be others. I would
appreciate any comments. Thanks.

See records at this website:
http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/species?l=2003&chosen_state=47*Tennessee

Rita Venable