[TN-Butterflies] Re: Edgar Evins State Park Butterflies (and Moths!)

  • From: Bart Jones <bjones7777@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TNButterflies <tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2014 22:15:21 -0500

Hey Kristy,
I do think you have a Bell's RSS.  Your second photo, even though blurry, does
show all the key markings for a Bell's.  Congrats!

Bart Jones
Memphis, Shelby Co.

Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2014 02:04:09 +0000
From: kristybaker@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [TN-Butterflies] Edgar Evins State Park Butterflies (and Moths!)

Hello,

On Sunday, August 3rd, my family and I went hiking at Edgar Evins State Park
(DeKalb County).  We had never been there and enjoyed our hike very much!
Swallowtails were everywhere throughout the hike, but I wasn't close enough to
ID them. Species I could identify include the following:

Great Spangled Fritillary - 3
Silvery Checkspot - 1
Silver-spotted Skipper - 9
Spicebush Swallowtail - 4
Hackberry Emperor - 2
Eastern-tailed Blue - 2  (There were lots of little butterflies - I didn't wade
through the weeds to identify them.  I assumed that many of them were ETBs.)
American Snout - LOTS
Viceroy - 1
Carolina Satyr - 3 (There were over a dozen or more that I assumed were
Carolina Satyr's but they didn't land where I could ID them.)
Zabulon Skipper - 2
Red-banded Hairstreak - 1
Possible Bell's Roadside Skipper?  Two different individuals - Any thoughts?
The pictures are of poor quality  #1
http://www.pbase.com/kristybaker/image/156865134  #2
http://www.pbase.com/kristybaker/image/156865138  and also
http://www.pbase.com/kristybaker/image/156865136

We also got to see an Imperial Moth and a Sphinx moth species.

Kristy Baker
Rockvale, TN
Rutherford County