[TN-Butterflies] Dreamy/Sleepy Duskywing identification

  • From: "David Spicer" <dspicer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-Butterflies" <tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 19:17:37 -0400

While trying to figure out what we had seen this last weekend I came across
the following in "Butterflies of the East Coast an Observer's Guide" by Rick
Chech and Guy Tudor.

"Finally, though commentators state that the Dreamy Duskywings lack white
subapical (or "bracelet") spots on the FW, it is possible - even in the
field - to detect a very small white dot on each wing, near the leading
edge. This mark is absent in Sleepy."

By the way, if you don't have this book it is highly recommended. It is
targeted at the U.S. East Coast states so doesn't cover Tennessee
specifically but still has lots of good information in it. It is also NOT a
field guide.

Dave Spicer
Ooltewah, TN

The FAQ can be found by logging in at
//www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/lsg2.cgi/l=tn-butterflies

Please report any abuse or questions about this list to:
kjchilds@xxxxxxxxxx

Users can unsubscribe from this list by sending email to
tn-butterflies-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe'
in the Subject field.