[TN-Butterflies] Clifton Bend Fall Count Sept. 6

  • From: Bart Jones <bjones7777@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: undisclosed-recipients:;
  • Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2014 23:49:12 -0500

Hi Folks,
The Clifton Bend Fall Count will be held next Saturday, Sept. 6.  We will meet
at 9:30 AM at Carroll Cabin Barrens State Natural Area parking lot (directions:
From Interstate 40, exit at U.S. Hwy 69/641 (exit #126). Go south through
Parsons (crossing Hwy 412) and Decaturville (crossing Hwy 100). After the 4-way
stop at Hwy 100, go approximately 11 miles. Turn left on Bob's Landing Road and
continue for about 1 mile then turn right on Smith Gravel Pit Road. The parking
area is one mile on the right side of the road.)  As with all seasonal counts,
we are required to have 4 observers and log a minimum of 6 party-hours, so
please let me know if you plan to help out.  We will count around Carroll Cabin
Barrens to start, where the Liatris cylindracea and Silphium terebinthinaceum
should be in full bloom.  This has typically brought out good numbers of
Clouded and Swarthy Skippers.  We will enjoy lunch at Meo Mio's Cajun
Restaurant nearby, then head down Ferry Road where there are large roadside
stands of Verbesina virginica which are magnets for all sorts of butterflies.
We will also encounter some Melanthera nivea, one of my favorite nectar plants
that usually draws large numbers of skippers.  If time allows, we will visit a
few more areas that are more of a bottomland habitat.

Hope to see you there,

Bart Jones
Memphis, Shelby County