[TN-Butterflies] Clifton Bend Butterfly Count

  • From: Bart Jones <bjones7777@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Louise Gregory <louhawkgreg@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 10:29:47 -0500

The inaugural spring seasonal count for the Clifton Bend Count Circle will be
held on Saturday, April 16.  We will meet at 9:30 AM in the parking lot of
Carroll Cabin Barrens State Natural Area in Decatur County.  The count will be
held in conjunction with the State Natural Areas Week program at Carroll Cabin
Barrens.  Most of the day will be spent at the Natural Area, but we will visit
other locations later in the afternoon.  Lunch will be at a nearby restaurant.

The barrens are home to a good population of Cobweb Skippers, uncommon in
Tennessee.  We hope to see these and other nice spring species such as Henry's
and Eastern Pine Elfins, Sleepy Duskywings, Goatweed Leafwings, and abundant
Juniper Hairstreaks (possibly a violet form as seen last year).

Directions to the Natural Area follow:

From Interstate 40, exit at U.S. Hwy 69/641 (exit #126). Go south through
Parsons (crossing Hwy 412) and Decaturville (crossing Hwy 100). After the 4-way
stop at Hwy 100, go approximately 11 miles. Turn left on Bob's Landing Road and
continue for about 1 mile then turn right on Smith Gravel Pit Road. The parking
lot of the Natural Area is one mile on the right side of the road.

Hope to see you on the 16th!

Bart Jones
Memphis, Shelby County