[TN-Butterflies] Butterfly Checklists/Taxonomy

  • From: Avian Pursuits Nature Tours <naturetours@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 10:32:14 -0800 (PST)

Greetings Tennessee butterfliers....

I use the AviSys birding software to keep track of all of my butterfly (and
moths, dragonflies, other insects, ferns, mammals...) sightings. I have been
working to create an updated database that includes all of the butterflies
found in North America. The list at the http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/
website has been helpful in doing this, but it does not include all butterflies
of North America (considering central America as part of NA).

So I have also been using the checklist at the North American Butterfly
Association website http://www.naba.org/pubs/checklst.html. This includes many
more species than are found on the BAMONA site, but there are several
discrepancies in taxonomy,

I have recently found another site, with even more species...and even more
discrepancies:
http://www.butterfliesofamerica.com/intro.htm. This site includes Opler and
Warren as contributors, and is dated 2008.

I contacted BAMONA for some information about their taxonomy, and received a
response from Thomas Naberhaus indicating that BAMONA uses the Opler-Warren
taxonomy. He included the following link which indicates differences between
Opler-Warren and NABA:
http://home.sprintmail.com/~awiner/NABAandOpler.html

What this all means is...a good deal of confusion when trying to create a list
of recognized species from Panama through Canada!

I am interested in any input about butterfly taxonomy that individuals on this
new listserve may be willing to share.

In the meantime, on my website, http://avianpursuits.com/butterflies, I have
placed a file in the BAMONA sequence for use with AviSys, as well as
instructions on how to add it to your own AviSys program. It follows the
sequence and the majority of the names used at BAMONA, the site to which many
of us contribute sightings for county records. I hope some of you will try this
- and let me know if it works for you.
I'm still working on the more extensive list for all of NA. Once it is created,
I'll let you know. It should be useful for those of you who do some traveling
south of the border, especially as more field guides are published.

David Trently
Avian Pursuits Nature Tours
Knoxville, TN
http://avianpursuits.com/