[TN-Butterflies] Re: Balance of Nature

  • From: kjchilds <kjchilds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN Butterflies <TN-Butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 13:19:13 -0700 (PDT)

The numbers of dragons in my area this year has been astounding but I have yet
to see one feeding on a butterfly. Same situation with robber flies.  I've seen
plenty of both groups feeding but the prey is always small and not easily
identified.

My trips into the swamps and forests so far have found very few butterflies and
lots of dragonflies and damselflies. Since last year was my first to venture
into the forests and swamps away from my property, I can't say if last year or
this year is closer to normal if there is such a thing as a normal year.
Earlier this year I asked what impact the floods might have had on some species
of butterflies. I didn't get any replies but maybe those floods did mess with
some butterfly populations.

The general population of butterflies has increased drastically over the past
few days but what I haven't been seeing are Black Swallowtails. I have more
fennel growing than ever before but not a single caterpillar has shown up. Have
any of you seen any of these caterpillars?

 Ken Childs
Henderson, TN
Chester County

http://www.finishflagfarms.com