[TN-Butterflies] BAMONA for Roane County - Falcate Orangetip

  • From: "Doug Bruce" <s137@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN Butterflies" <TN-Butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2010 19:08:18 -0400

April 2, 2010, on the ORNL campus in Roane Co., 16:30-17:15 EDT, 83F.

1. One Falcate Orangetip (two photos).  If verified, this would be a BAMONA
record for Roane County.  This individual was repeatedly flying the same
~200-ft route down and back through the woods.  A round trip took about 3-4
minutes, and ended with a few-second pause to nectar, and then the whole
process repeated. Before I concluded that I needed to hang out by the nectaring
spot, I tried a lot of in-flight shots, with only marginal success.  If anyone
can identify that flower for me, I would appreciate it (photo attached).

2. One Orange Sulphur (no photo).  This is a FOY for Roane Co.  As I was
driving home, a bright orange butterfly swooped down in front of my car and
didn't emerge on the other side.  Hmm.  I pulled over, opened the hood, and
discovered an Orange Sulphur stunned down near the bottom of the radiator.  It
recovered and flew off before I could retrieve the camera.

Doug Bruce
Oak Ridge, TN
Anderson Co.