[TN-Butterflies] BAMONA for Gibson County

  • From: kjchilds <kjchilds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN Butterflies <TN-Butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2010 07:58:40 -0700 (PDT)

I visited a friend's farm in Gibson County yesterday. I was there for a
birthday
party and really didn't have much time to butterfly but I found a few new
records. The property is groomed for horses and hay production so there are
very
few nectaring sources which kept the numbers way down and made it difficult to
find any butterflies holding still long enough to get their pictures taken.
Cloudless Sulphurs were passing by but not one of them ever landed.

All of these can be considered as FOY's but really that's only because no one
living there is reporting anything. The only one that's really worth recording,
IMHO, is the Dainty Sulphur.

8/21/10
Common Buckeye
Gray Hairstreak
Variegated Fritillary
Silver-spotted Skipper
Little Yellow
Dainty Sulphur (seems like this is the year to get records of this species)
Red-spotted Purple

Photos and location will be sent directly to Steve Stedman.

Recently the Eastern Tailed Blues have been conspicuous by their absence on my
farm. In the past few weeks I haven't seen more than a few on any given day but
at this farm in Gibson, they were the most common
butterfly seen. There weren't huge amounts but I saw several dozen in the few
minutes I was out looking.

 Ken Childs
Henderson, TN
Chester County