[TN-Butterflies] Re: Azures in early spring in TN

  • From: Bart Jones <bjones7777@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TNButterflies <tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 22:33:22 -0500

I can certainly vouch for this.  I've definitely seen Summer Azures in early
April nectaring on redbud here in Shelby County.  Actually, the Spring Azure I
posted a few days ago from Eagle Lake was the first definite Spring Azure I've
seen in Shelby County.

Bart Jones
Memphis, Shelby County

From: s137@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: TN-Butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [TN-Butterflies] Azures in early spring in TN
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 21:13:09 -0400

Decided to rewrite an off-list conversation for the group.

Those very first azures you see flying in spring... despite their name,
there’s a reasonable chance that they’re Summer Azures.

The small spring brood of Summer Azures comes from the late-pupating larvae
of late September and October of the previous season (per David Wright).
The flight of this brood begins before that of the Spring Azure, by a few days
to a couple of weeks.

Spring and Summer Azures can be distinguished by the dorsal surface of the
males’ wings.  Here is explanation of the difference:
https://leplog.wordpress.com/2014/04/23/forewing-scale-features-of-spring-azure-c-ladon/

~ Doug