[TN-Butterflies] 31st county with photo-documented record of goatweed leafwing at bamona

  • From: "Stephen Stedman" <SStedman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <TN-Butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 13:36:57 -0500

No sooner had Julius Basham read my message about the leafwing vacuum in
Polk County than he emailed me a recent photo of that species from that
county.  Shazaaaaam!

Anyhow, Polk County is now the proud possessor of a photo-documented
record of Goatweed Leafwing, the 31st county in Tennessee to be so
possessed.  The Polk County butterfly list now stands at 107
species--with a recent photo of Dusky Azure just waiting to become 108
(that photo looks good to me, but I want to get another review before
proceeding with it).

What's more, Julius says that this year has seen the first "outbreak" of
leafwings in Polk County since 2003 0r 2004, so it looks like this is
the year to try to find one of these
rare-in-the-eastern-part-of-Tennessee 'flies, if that is what you like
to do in your spare time.  And the leafwing might be more findable this
year elsewhere in the state than in most years, so let's all gather at
the leafwing river and photo-document the heck out them.

Later, Steve Stedman

Cookeville (Putnam County)