[TN-Bird] west Tennessee, 10-11 Apr 12

  • From: Scott Somershoe <Scott.Somershoe@xxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 01:29:09 +0000

I spent the last 2 days with TWRA nongame biologists in west TN and had a
handful of notable birds.  Single Warbling Vireos in three places across Dyer
and Lake Co, one lone Eastern Kingbird in northernmost Lake Co (almost in KY),
scattered Bank Swallows in Lake Co, and an American Bittern in Lauderdale Co.
We also saw 7 Loggerhead Shrikes, most in Lake Co and in usual places.

Details:

10 Apr 12
Henderson Co.
Yellow-throated Vireo - 3
Common Yellowthroat -1

western Lauderdale Co.
American Bittern flushed from a wet/muddy overgrown spot where I didn't expect
a bittern (of course).  I was no more than 25 ft from the bird and didn't see
it until it flushed.  Got a nice view as it flew away though.

11 Apr 12

Dyer Co., near mouth of Obion River
House Wren - 1
Warbling Vireo - 1
Savannah Sparrow - 40+ in grassy edges of the ag fields.
Red-headed Woodpecker - several birds nesting in dead cottonwoods and carrying
on loudly

Tiptonville Ferry Landing
Bank Swallow- 2
Cliff Swallow - 3
several purple martins, barn and tree swallows, chimney swifts everywhere
(missed rough-winged here for the sweep of swallows)
Great Blue Heron - 3 up very high and appeared to be circling in a thermal for
a short while.  I've never them do that before.
Double-crested Cormorants - 25 in a thermal circling like Anhinga's.  I've also
never seen cormorants up high circling before.
Warbling Vireo - 1

in flooded pond just north of the ferry landing
Greater Yellowlegs - 2
Lesser Yellowlegs - 48+

Earl Trim road and Ibis Hole area west to the main levee:
American wigeon - 23 (most male)
Blue-winged Teal - 22
N Shoveler - 74
Green-winged Teal - 28
Sharp-shinned Hawk - 1
Bald Eagle - 10; 4 ad, 6 imm seen flying around at the same time
Greater Yellowlegs - 22
Lesser Yellowlegs - 240+, many in weedy areas and tough to see
Pectoral Sandpiper - 76
Least Sandpiper - 18
Western Sandpiper - 1
Warbling Vireo - 1
Eastern Kingbird - 1 lone, early bird

Phillippy Unit of Black Bayou Refuge
among previously noted shorebirds and ducks (plus gadwall) there was one
Long-billed Dowitcher

Black Bayou Refuge proper
N Harrier - 1 (only one seen over 2 days)

Barn Owl in a usual place.

Cheers,
Scott Somershoe

State Ornithologist