[TN-Bird] waterbirds above Chickamauga Dam

  • From: "Kevin A. Calhoon" <kac@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Harold Sharp" <sharp_h@xxxxxxxxx>, "Ray Zimmerman" <znaturalist@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 08:40:12 -0500

I have spent a few hours observing the amazing group of waterbirds above
Chickamauga Dam on Sunday and Monday.  Tommie Rogers and I did some
counting yesterday to document the historic numbers of several species.
Here is what we came up with:

-          38 White-winged Scoters (Tommie saw 12 upriver for a total of
50 for yesterday!!)

-          331 Redheads (Probably a record for Hamilton County)

-          42 Canvasbacks (Dan Jacobson had a flock of over 250 at
Chester Frost on Sunday as well!)

-          1 immature male Black Scoter (We had two adult males and
either a young male and female down river from Booker T on Sunday)

-          2 Surf Scoters (male and female), I did not see them on
Monday, but they were way upriver with a flock of Bufflehead on Sunday.

-          1 male Long-tailed Duck present both days

-          Did not seen any loon species but Common above dam on Sunday
or Monday, but we had three Red-throated Loons out  from Booker T on
Sunday and Tommie Rogers had two more Red-throated Monday out in channel
downriver from Web Road.

-          Saw 16 Horned Grebes above dam on Sunday and Monday.

Kevin Calhoon

Assistant Curator of Forests

Tennessee Aquarium

423-785-4070