[TN-Bird] warblingvireonest, appytiger, wellers'mander, odies too

  • From: Dnldhlt@xxxxxxx
  • To: butternuts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, se-odonata@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 22:14:39 EDT

SAT 22 MAY 2004
Johnny Lynch Farnhouse Gallery and Gardens, Unicoi, TN
D. Holt

     The TWRA (Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency) Wildlife Celebration in
Unicoi Co., TN was an entertaining event Saturday aimed at increasing awareness
of the new non-game wildlife management fund, the Tennessee Wildlife Heritage
Trust, a non-profit organization formed by the Tennesse Wildlife Resources
Foundation to help it support the work of TWRA.  The purpose of this posting is
to report the wildlife seen on the various scheduled walks.
     Allan Trently scared us up a few salamanders to see at Rock Creek Park,
including Red-backed and Weller's salamanders.  I also saw an Appalachian
Tiger Swallowtail there, along with Pipevine and Spicebush Swallowtails.  Birds
at
Rock Creek included Acadian Flycatcher, Ovenbird, Black-throated Green
Warbler, and Scarlet Tanager.
     At the Farmhouse Gardens we watched odonates, butterflies, and birds.
ODONATES
Spreadwing Sp.
Ebony Jewelwing
Eastern Forktail
Fragile Forktail
Double-striped Bluet
Orange Bluet
Variable Dancer
Lancet Clubtail
Common Baskettail (including female depositing eggs into her 'basket')
Prince Baskettail
Common Whitetail
Widow Skimmer
Twelve-spotted Skimmer
Eastern Pondhawk
Blue Dasher
Black Saddlebags
Carolina Saddlebags

BUTTERFLIES (if I omitted any maybe Jerry Nagel will add a note of
correction?)
Eastern Tiger Swallowtail
Cabbage White
Clouded Sulphur
Orange Sulphur
Cloudless Sulphur
Eastern Tailed-Blue
Azure spp.
Meadow Fritillary
Silvery Checkerspot
Pearl Crescent
Question Mark
Carolina Satyr
Silver-spotted Skipper
Common Sootywing
Clouded Skipper
Least Skipper
Peck's Skipper
Sachem
Zabulon Skipper

BIRDS (again, my notes are incomplete, perhaps Larry McDaniel will add to
them?)
Green Heron
Wood Duck
Red-tailed Hawk
Turkey Vulture
Mourning Dove
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
Eastern Phoebe
Purple Martin
Barn Swallow
Tree Swallow
Blue Jay
Carolina Chickadee
Eastern Tufted Titmouse
American Robin
Gray Catbird
Northern Mockingbird
Cedar Waxwing (one seemingly gathering tent caterpillar silk)
Warbling Vireo (pair on nest)
Yellow-breasted Chat
Yellow Warbler
Song Sparrow (one nesting in hanging basket)
Red-winged Blackbird
Common Grackle (one on nest)
Orchard Oriole
    The Warbling Vireo pair were nesting on the backside of the pond near the
top of a young tuliptree.  From the viewing deck of the main meeting room,
the tuliptree was just beyond and to the right of the two baldcypress trees
that
grow in the middle of the pond.  The birds were seen going in and out of the
nest, and the male often sang from the nest.  The nest was mostly hidden from
view by the live tuliptree leaves, but seemed to be fairly light in color and
fine in texture, like dried grass.

Don Holt
Johnson City, TN