[TN-Bird] turkey calls

  • From: "Thais Carr" <carrtk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 06:52:04 -0600

This morning I was on the front porch calling one of my dogs who likes to run
out the gate when I open it.  The first time I called, I didn't see her but I
did hear some turkeys.  I couldn't tell where they were (sound bounces around
on the hills  & can be very deceptive) , but  I knew they were close.

The dog  was obviously busy with dog business as she merely glanced at me  &
went back to digging.  I decided to try bribery & went inside then onto the
back porch with treats.  I heard the unmistakable sound of early-morning wing
flapping & spotted a half dozen turkeys roosting maybe 100 feet up the hill.
What made me laugh out loud was that each time I called the dog's name, one of
the turkeys answered me.  It probably took a dozen calls to persuade the dog I
had something worth investigating.  By that time my other dog had eaten her
treats and wandered maybe 25 feet up the hill with a puzzled look on her face
as she looked toward the turkeys.    I'm always amazed how "late" the turkeys
sleep compared to smaller birds & how much noise they make prior to leaving for
the day.

Thais Carr
Thompsons Station