[TN-Bird] some Blount County waterfowl

  • From: Carole Gobert <cpgobert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Bird List <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2011 13:45:19 -0500

This morning I checked a few locations in Blount County for waterfowl.  By the
time I got there after 9:30 a.m. Louisville Point Park held only one
Pied-billed Grebe, 85+ American Coots, 5 Mallards and quite a few boats.  The
drive down Lowes Ferry Road was more productive.  There appeared to be nothing
on Phelps Dairy Pond or Hitch Pond (though there was nowhere to stop at Hitch
Pond and really look) but the smaller pond between those two (that I call Stilt
Pond for the Black-necked Stilt found there in 2004 and still fondly
remembered) was another story.  I counted 2 Northern Shoveler hens, a male
American Wigeon, 15 Gadwalls, 18 Mallards and a coot.  My count of the Mallards
and Gadwalls may be off some and I may have missed a couple of female Wigeons.
Carole Gobert, Knoxville