[TN-Bird] parking lot birding

  • From: <ethden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 12:14:08 -0500

Radnor Lake State Natural Area
Nashville, TN
A friend of mine who is a long time birder once told me that some of the best
birding she has ever experienced is in parking lots just outside the trails and
boardwalks where the birds are "supposed" to be.

With this in mind, I went to the east parking lot at Radnor early today. The
lighting was perfect with the sun coming up. No disappointment there as all
within minutes I had prolonged looks at a blackpoll warbler, almost at eye
level, working his way through the foliage. Suddenly a chestnut sided warbler
was there. It showed me a yellow crown, disappeared, then reappeared showing
lots of black and white on wings and back. The clincher was the rufous flanks.
A hidden Tennessee warbler who had been singing away in a red cedar finally
came out and the sunlight really highlighted his greenish back. Next was a
black and white warbler and then a Cape May warbler. All within five minutes or
so.

And later, when I got home, in the hackberry in the driveway was a beautiful
male Magnolia warbler singing and hopping about. In the future, maybe I can
just bird from the car!

Elsewhere at Radnor along the road was a yellow warbler and on South Cove Loop
was a Baltimore Oriole that showed up very nicely in the sunlight at tree tops.

Kevin Bowden
Nashville, TN