[TN-Bird] osprey in Knoxville

  • From: "Carole Gobert" <cpgobert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 13:56:57 -0500

Did some birding on my lunch break today at Cherokee Park on Cherokee Blvd.
in Knoxville, the park where you can look across the river at the great blue
heron rookery on Looney Island.  There were at least 25 great blue herons in
the trees & on nests on Looney Island.  On the river 13 Canada geese, a ring
billed gull and about 10-12 mallards.

I watched an osprey on the ground at the tip of the spit of land where the
osprey nest platform is; it was watching the water hoping to spot lunch, I
guess.  There didn't appear to be a bird on the nest on the osprey platform.
  Then just as I was turning to leave, I saw movement out of the corner of
my eye, saw the osprey fly up to the nest and, oh my gosh, there were now
two of them sitting on the nest.

Carole Gobert
Knox County, Tennessee