[TN-Bird] new yard bird!

  • From: mgreene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 08:30:46 -0600

After first seeing this species within 2 miles of my house over a year
ago, and then gradually see it closer and closer since then, I had my
first Eurasian Collared-Dove in my yard this morning.  I knew it was only
a matter of time.  When I see the species in rural areas I always see it
near houses that have evergreen trees in their yards and my yard has
Eastern Redcedars, Loblolly Pines, and Eastern White Pines in it.  My yard
also has another attraction - bird feeders!
I also had another interesting sighting a couple of days ago but this one
will have to go down in the probable category.  I was out in the yard on
Tuesday afternoon and had a small flock (15-20) of birds fly over me a
couple of hundred feet in the air.  I could see some reddish color
underneath as I glanced up and I thought they were House Finches and/or
Purple Finches as I've had both visiting the feeders recently.  When they
got almost to the other side of the yard I thought I heard a "jip-jip"
call note of a Red Crossbill.  I looked up and saw the birds flying into
the distance and never saw them again so that one will have to go into the
probable category as they were pretty far away when I heard the call note
and can't say beyond the shadow of a doubt that it was a crossbill but I'm
pretty sure.

I've also had American Woodcock displaying in a couple of different areas
around Trenton in the last week so spring is definitely "in the air".

Now where are my Purple Martins?

Good birding,

Mark Greene
Trenton, TN