[TN-Bird] Re: nest cams

  • From: K Dean EDWARDS <kde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Carole Gobert <cpgobert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 16:57:31 -0400 (EDT)

Carole and others,

I used to keep a website with a list of such sites but haven't
maintained it for a few years.  I set up Java script to run a
small window which will continually update a given site.  I
can then have a window or two open in the background while I'm
working on the computer.

A couple of my favorites:

For the original feedercam site ran by Wild Birds Unlimited in
Indiana go to www.wbu.com and click on "Bird FeederCam".  The
image updates every 45 seconds.  They get the typical Eastern
US feeder birds but I'm particuarly jealous of the Pileated
and Hairy Woodpeckers coming to their suet feeders.

Also from the WBU site, there's a link to Cornell's Birdhouse
Network which looks to have a couple of active netcams with
Eastern Bluebird and Prothonotary Warbler.

One of the best sites is run by James Reserve in the San Jacinto
Mountains of California, kinda due east of LA and due north of
San Diego.  Go to www.jamesreserve.edu then click on "Webcam
Observatory".  They have several feeder, birdbath and nest cams
set up.  Nice to see some birds we don't get in TN like
Stellar's Jay, Pygmy Nuthatch, Mountain Chickadee, Band-tailed
Pigeon and Black-headed Grosbeak (ok, those last two have been
in TN before).  Best bird on my "virtual life list" from this
site is White-headed Woodpecker.  They have a hummingbird feeder
cam (mostly Anna's) and three nest cams, one with Violet-Green
Swallows nesting.

There's several good sites out there but if you do a Google
search for them, be careful what you click on.  :-)

Dean Edwards
Knoxville, TN