[tn-bird] migration in Walker Valley - 2 fall firsts

  • From: Charlie <cmmbirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 09:33:50 -0700 (PDT)

This fall seems much more interesting in Walker Valley than last
year!  The sparrows are abundant, numbers of Cardinals have increased
steadily over the week, as have White-breasted Nuthatches.

With the temp hovering about 50 degrees, it felt more like autumn,
but seemed a bit warmer when a Blue-headed Vireo started singing.
Must have had the same effect on the 2 singing spring peepers.  That
is, until I ran into a flock of about 30 Yellow-rumped Warblers, then
a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker.  Each was my first for the fall in the
valley.  Palm Warblers and Phoebes are still around.  A meadowlark at
least 50 feet up in a tree must have been migrating.

Now I need some good sparrows.  Maybe Kyker this weekend, since the
fields in Townsend have all been mown.  :-(

Good day!

charlie

=====
Charlie Muise, Senior Naturalist
Great Smoky Mountains Institute at Tremont
Townsend, TN  lat 35 deg, 38'23"  long 83 deg, 41'22"

"Do something. If it works, do it again. If it does not work, do something
else. But above all else: Do Something." (Franklin Delano Roosevelt)