[TN-Bird] great blue herons & black vultures

  • From: "Carole Gobert" <cpgobert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 13:57:50 -0500

Sunday afternoon on a TVA tower at one of the beaver ponds at Tellico Dam
(Loudon County, Tenn.) I watched two great blue herons working on a nest.
Another heron stood on a second  nest on a different platform.  These were
both just the bare beginnings of nests.  Two other stick piles with even
fewer sticks were at other locations on the tower.  In all 14 great blue
herons were on the various platforms on the tower and at one point there
were more than 30 black vultures also perched there.  There was no
interaction between the herons and vultures at all.  The herons didn't
appear to mind having vultures within a few feet of their nests.

I stopped by Fort Loudon Dam (the fishing area just below the overlook) as I
was leaving.  It was raining so I just took a quick look from the car.  The
tower across the water that had at one time had nesting great blue herons
had none--just what looked like more than 100 black vultures covering it.

Carole Gobert
Knox County, Tennessee