[TN-Bird] grasshopper sparrow (Knox Co)

  • From: muise@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: tn bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 07:36:28 -0400

I've been stopping at the bottom of the hill to school (Episcopal School of
Knoxville, where last year we hosted the spring TOS meeing) to listen for the
return of the GRASSHOPPER SPARROWS that were present last year.  I'm pretty
sure this morning that I heard them calling.  I would love it if someone in the
area could double check "my ear."

I heard the call in the same area as I did last year.  At the bottom of the
hill, just off Gilbert Road, before you get to the Diocesan building.
Generally I hear them on the south side (the larger of the two fields).  If
they do return, Charlie and I hope to look for nests.

Speaking of nests, Friday evening (before the middle school dance) Charlie and
I watched the PILEATED WOODPECKER nest.  We never saw the adults, but the
chicks were present.  The male sat in the nest with his head out of the hole
the majority of the time.  Every once in a while you could see a second
head/chick behind him.  He looked pretty close to fledging.  It's possible that
today (Monday) they're gone--I'll check them out later.  I don't know much
about Pileated fledging.

Tracey Muise
Episcopal School of Knoxville
950 Episcopal School Way