[TN-Bird] Re: found pigeon

  • From: knoxmartin2@xxxxxxx
  • To: mbsledjeski@xxxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 16:10:39 -0500 (EST)

I can give you an example from my personal experience. Several years ago I
found a banded pigeon as well. Same type numbers. If I remember correctly the
first is the year (in your case 2012), the second the breeder. You probably
have a homing/racing pigeon. I tried for several days to find the owner of the
one I found, and when I finally did he told me to keep the bird. Since it was a
homing pigeon that did not know the way home he said he had no use for it. I
would suggest you save your time and trouble and if possible just release it
again. It will probably take up with local ground doves and do fine on its own.
It would probably be a good idea to remove the band if you can so the next
person who finds it will not go through the same routine as you did.

Knox Martin
Mid-South Raptor Center
Memphis, Shelby County, TN