[TN-Bird] confusing but interesting day in the yard

  • From: Carole Gobert <cpgobert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Bird List <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 18:50:19 -0400

My yard is in west Knox County.  I have bluebirds nesting in a box near my
drive and I thought they had probably fledged yesterday because I saw no
activity near the box and it was about time.  I even walked up and down the
drive a few times this morning talking to myself, "I wonder where the bluebirds
are.  I don't see any bluebirds". No response and one of the adults will
usually appear from somewhere when I walk past.  So after birding and running
errands, I returned home mid-afternoon thinking I would check on the box.  It
was immediately apparent that the bluebirds were still around as one was
chasing a mockingbird from the vicinity and then a little head popped up at the
hole.
Okay, so, bluebirds still in the box but ready to fledge.  So, on to the second
box on the other side of my house.  Early in the season bluebirds and Carolina
Chickadees were both interested in both boxes.  The bluebirds built nests in
both and laid eggs in the one by the drive.  I thought this was strange as I've
never known bluebirds to build dummy nests.  I'm not sure but I think the
chickadees started a nest out back and the bluebirds built on top of it.  So,
when I would check on the bluebirds, I'd look in the second box as well but the
nest in it was always empty (I even felt around it to be sure).  Eventually I
stopped looking until April 16 when I saw a chickadee fly into it.  I watched
and when she flushed (when a neighbor came too close) I opened the box and
found 5 chickadee eggs.  So today, April 20, I thought I'd take another look
and see if there might be a 6th egg.  As I approached the box I heard a
melodious song that I hadn't heard yet this year.  My HOUSE WREN is back.   A
chickadee flew from the box and I opened the door to find one egg and four
little naked chickadees.  They're hatching!
So, I've got fledging bluebirds, hatching chickadees and a singing House Wren.
After a couple years of unrequited invitations, last summer the House Wren
found a mate and raised a brood in a gourd by my front door.  He may or may not
have nested again in the back yard.
Carole Gobert, Knoxville