[TN-Bird] cerulean warbler walk at frozen head state natural area (4 june 06)

  • From: "Stephen Stedman" <SStedman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 11:47:52 -0500

With David M. Engebretson, I walked a 16-km (10-mile) loop at Frozen
Head State Natural Area, Morgan Co., TN, yesterday (4 June 2006, about
the average date when this walk was been conducted in the past), mainly
to count the Cerulean Warblers present.  We began the walk at 1030 EDT
and ended 1545 EDT (about the same times when this walk has begun and
ended in most years since this informal survey began in 1993).

This year some rain (1300-1330) and high wind (Beaufort 2-3 from
1330-1545) probably affected the CERW count in a negative way, but hard
to say how much.  We counted 33 CERWs along the route, considerably down
from last year's 55 and way down from the 1994 total of 106. However,
inclement weather, as noted, may have affected the total for the walk,
but I suspect not much, because the CERW total for the early part of the
walk--consisting of about 3 miles and conducted under good weather
conditions--was 11, down from 13 last year and from counts in the high
20s and low 30s a decade or so ago.

You may view results of all my CERW surveys at Frozen Head at this page
of my website:

http://iweb.tntech.edu/sstedman/CERWfrozheadsp.htm

Yesterday, we counted 37 other species besides CERWs; some were down in
numbers from numbers counted in the past (like Am. Redstart), but some
were counted in numbers about equal to numbers counted in the past (like
Ovenbird). Three Veeries, two Blackburnian Warblers, a Black-throated
Blue Warbler, and four Rose-breasted Grosbeaks were noted.

I do not begin the CERW walk any earlier than I do because I conduct the
Oliver Springs BBS on the morning of the walk. Makes for a full day: up
at 0345 EDT; drive 78 miles to start of BBS route; begin BBS at 0549;
end BBS around 0945; drive to park and begin CERW walk at 1030 or so;
end walk around 1530-1545; drive 65 miles home; prepare for next day's
bird surveys; go to bed 2000 or so.  Results of this year's Oliver
Springs BBS were quite good: 77 species (my best ever on this route)
including a Swainson's Warbler but nothing to compare with last year's
Sora.

Steve Stedman
Cookeville, TN

                  EXCELLENT MAP RESOURCES