[tn-bird] Re: bird song ID help requested

  • From: "Ford & Cordrey" <fordcordrey@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 21:54:30 -0500

Jan Shaw has won! Not only was she my first reply, but she nailed it, a
tough job from a description! And the answer is...... Dickcissel !!
Here's the interesting part: I remembered Dickcissel as having a slightly
bi-syllabic quality to the final 3 notes, and my Peterson Eastern tapes
confirmed that. But when I listened to my Western Peterson's tapes I had a
match! This version was more monosyllabic, like my bird in the field.
Interesting. The eastern recording was made in Kansas, the western lists
Texas, Nebraska and Illinois. I don't know if there is a deeper meaning
there. I'll have to get out there and get a look, it has been awhile since
I've had the chance to enjoy this bird!

Many thanks,
Susan Ford
Cookeville, TN