[TN-Bird] banding and dragonflies at Tremont

  • From: Charlie <cmmbirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: butternuts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, TN-Bird <TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 17:03:20 -0700 (PDT)

Great Smoky Mountains Institute at Tremont
Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Blount County, TN

The penultimate banding day for the 2004 Tremont MAPS season was a
good one.  We continue to have successful days with birds, unlike
last year.   Also on a positive note, we caught 2 Wood Thrushes
today, doubling the number for this year, and putting us nearly back
to normal.  We also had 3 recaptured birds ? 2 Carolina Wrens and a
Louisiana Waterthrush.

Today?s birds were dirty.  We collected mites or lice from 3 of them.
 This is GOOD news, for our purposes, as the critters that live on
the birds are as important to our work as the birds are.  We also
collected fecal samples from 3 of them.

The bad news is that one of the recaptured birds, a Carolina Wren,
escaped before the number was recorded.  It was in net  number 1next
to another recaptured Carolina Wren, whose number we did get.  That
one was caught with another wren last month in net 8 ? right across
the river.  So perhaps the one who escaped was the one who was caught
with her last time?  We?ll never know.

Today was the inaugural day of studying dragonflies during bird
banding.  We saw Common Whitetails, Dragon Hunters, a Gray Petaltail,
Common Green Darner and Tiger Spiketail and several Ebony Jewelwings
(a damselfly).  We collected the Tiger Spiketail and one male
Jewelwing for the Tremont collection.

Todays birds:

Carolina Wren:  2 recaptures
Wood Thrush:  2 new birds
Louisiana Waterthrush:  one new, one recapture

Total birds for the year:  75

Our last day is next Friday, June 30.  Nets open at 6:40 AM.  All are
welcome.

Charlie

=====